Pages

SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA

SATOR AREPO TENET OPERA
The Magic Square

Tuesday 31 January 2012

Second Degree Initiation

Second Degree Initiation

HPS casts Circle as usual. Esbat rite is followed to end of Invocation of the Horned God.

Candidate, properly prepared (in centre of Circle), is bound and blindfolded, as in the First Degree, but with the addition of a blue cord bound about the knees. Hierophant leads Candidate to each: Quarter in turn, proclaiming:

H: 'Hear ye O Mighty Ones of the East [South/West/North], N..., a duly consecrated Priest[ess] and Witch is now properly prepared to be made a High Priest and Magus [High Priestess and Witch Queen].'

Candidate is returned to centre, facing altar. Coven links hands and thrice circle.

The Candidate is now assisted to kneel and rebound securely, facing altar.Hierophant says:
H: 'To attain to this sublime degree, it is necessary to suffer and bepurified. Art thou willing to suffer to learn?'
C: 'I am.'
H: 'I purify thee to take this great Oath rightly.'
The bell is run thrice and purification follows: 3, 7, 9, 21 (=40) strokes.Scourge and bell are returned to the altar as Hierophant says:
H: 'I now give thee a new name, N... What is thy name?' [giving light smack orpush]
C: 'My name is N...'

Each member of the Coven in turn gives Candidate a light swat or push, asking:
'What is thy name?'
Candidate responds to each with his/her new name. When all have put the question, all return to their places and H administers the Oath, saying:

H: 'Repeat thy new name after me: I, N...., swear upon my mother's womb, and by mine honour among men and my Brothers and Sisters of the Art, that I will never reveal, to any at all, any of the secrets of the Art, except it be to a worthyperson, properly prepared, in the centre of a Magic Circle such as I am now in; and that I will never deny the secrets to such a person, if he or she has been properly vouched for by a Brother or Sister of the Art. All this I swear by my hopes of salvation, my past lives and my hopes of future ones to come; and Idevote myself and my measure to utter destruction if I break this my solemn oath.'

Kneeling,  H places left hand under Candidate's knee and high hand upon his/herhead to form the Magickal Link and concentrates long enough to fully charge C,saying:
H: 'I will all my power into thee.'

The Candidate's knees and ankles are now unbound, and he/she is assisted to rise. H takes up oil and anoints C at pubes, right breast, left hip, right hip, leftbreast and above pubic hair again, saying:
H: 'I consecrate thee with oil.'

And again with wine, saying:
H: 'I consecrate thee with wine.'

And lastly kisses Candidate in the same pattern:
H: 'I consecrate thee with my lips, High Priest[ess] and Magus [WitchQueen]."
The blindfold and cable-tow are now removed and the Initiate is congratulated by coveners.
H takes up Magic Sword from altar, saying:
H: 'You will now show the use of each of the Working Tools in turn. First theMagic Sword.' (S)

(Initiate silently redraws Circle and returns Sword with an S)
H: 'Second the Athame' (S)

(Initiate again recasts Circle in silence. S)
H: 'Third, the White-Hilted Knife' (S)

(Initiate inscribes pentagram in new white candle. S)
H: 'Fourth, the Wand' (S)

(Initiate circumambulates presenting the Wand to each Quarter. S)
H: 'Fifth, the Cup' (S)

(Initiate consecrates wine; may be assisted by H. S)
H: 'Sixth, the Pentacle' (S)

(Initate consecrates cakes; may be assisted by H. S)
H: 'Seventh, the Cords' (S)

(Initiate, with help from Partner, binds H, as (s)he was bound to take this degree. S)
H: 'Eighth, the Scourge. For learn, in Witchcraft you must ever give as you receive, but ever triple. So where I have thee three, return nine; where I gave seven, return twenty-one; where I have thee nine, return twenty-seven; where I have thee twenty-one, return sixty-three.'

(Initiate gives 9, 21, 27, 63 = 120 strokes with Scourge)
H: 'Thou hast obeyed the Law. But mark well, when thou receives good, soequally art thou bound to return good threefold.'
H is unbound and assisted to rise, then leads Initiate to each Quarter in turn,saying:
H: 'Hear ye, Mighty Ones of the East [South/West/North]: N... has been duly consecrated High Priest[ess] and Magus [Witch Queen].'
H leads Initate back to centre of Circle, saying:
H: 'Having learned this far, you must know why the Wicca are called the HiddenChildren of the Goddess.'
Proceed with the Legend of the Descent of the Goddess. Generally Initiate and Hierophant act the appropriate parts. H appoints Narrator and Guardian.

The second degree is often badged by an inverted pentagram, this symbolises the Horned God and also the decent into the underworld.

No comments:

Post a Comment